October 3 Young Alumni & Alumni Service Awards Luncheon
October 9 Physician Assistant Studies Alumni Reception
October 12-13 Nothing to Fear? Debating the 1929 Economic Collapse & Today's Recovery
October 14 CareerFest
October 17 Homecoming
October 21 Ann Arbor Alumni & Friends Reception
October 22 Accounting Alumni & Friends Annual Reunion
November 4 Dinner with Seven Strangers
November 4 Volunteer! Academic Major Fair
November 12 NovemBEERfest
November 18-19 Volunteer! GradFest
December 2 - Charleston Alumni & Friends Reception
Arie Noordsij, ’80, named Firefighter of the Year
Arie Noordsij was named 2009 Firefighter of the Year for the City of Port Richey, Florida. He was honored during the city’s September 12, 2009 Heroes Awards Banquet which was established in honor of first responders who died in the September 11, 2001 terror attacks. He is a full-time security officer with University Community Hospital in Carrollwood, FL, and a volunteer firefighter for Port Richey. The city’s fire chief nominated Noordsij citing his dedication, experience, and educational background. The prestigious award hadn’t been given since 2003, and the distinction is even rarer given Noordsij’s volunteer status.
Show your Laker pride when you hit the road
Save money and earn rewards
Membership has its privileges!
Are you looking for a job or to make a career change? Get help from your alma mater. View positions and post your resume at Laker Jobs.
Pass it on
Know anyone who might be interested in our newsletter?
to forward this email to up to 5 friends at once.
Give to GVSU
Howdy Partners! Just Two Weeks Left 'Til Laker Roundup - Homecoming 2009 is October 16-18
Callin' all Laker Cowboys and Cowgirls...saddle up and mosey on back to Allendale for Laker Roundup, Homecoming 2009.
Don't miss the Alumni Tailgater featuring great vittles, mechanical bull rides, wanted poster pictures, campus hay rides, hat decorating for cowboys and girls, and much more! A cash bar will be available. Cost is just $5 per adult, $3 per child 4-12, 3 and under are FREE! Other Homecoming Highlights include:
And much, much more! Visit www.gvsu.edu/homecoming for a full schedule of events and to sign up today!
Laker Athletic Hall of Fame Dinner - October 16
Don't miss the Charles H. Irwin Athletic Fund Dinner and Laker Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony. The 29th Annual event will be held in the Grand River Room of GVSU's Kirkhof Center to honor and welcome the newest class into the GVSU Athletic Hall of Fame. Reception - 5:30 p.m., Dinner - 7 p.m. Call 616-331-8800 for reservations.
- Emily Edlund, '01 - Softball
- John Flynn, '04 - Basketball
- Brian Kelly - Football Coach
- Carly Miller, '04 - Volleyball
- Julie Upmeyer, '03 - Swimming
- Scott VanDyken, '78 - Baseball/Football
NovemBEERFest - November 12
Sample Beer. Sample Food. Learn. Network. Repeat.
Join GVSU Young Alumni, friends and the Young Alumni Council for an educational evening tasting Michigan beers and food pairings carefully selected to complement each beer. Connect, network, socialize and become a beer snob with your fellow GVSU Young Alumni at McFadden's private Jameson Room in Grand Rapids. Cost is just $15 per person. RSVP by November 5.
Upcoming Volunteer Opportunities
November 4 - Academic Major Fair
Want to help students get a jump on their career path? Then volunteer at the Academic Major Fair and share advice and information about your career with students who are undecided about or considering switching majors. Shift times are available in one or more hour blocks between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. Lunch will be provided. If you are interested in participating, please forward your resume or bio and the times that you are available to firstname.lastname@example.org.
November 4 - Dinner with Seven Strangers - So As Lakers, We Are No Longer Strangers
Alumni are invited to share dinner with students from the Future Alumni Association
at their signature fall event scheduled for 5:30 p.m. The dinner will unite alumni, students and faculty around a common academic major and will provide an opportunity for students to make contacts and build critical professional networks. If your major was Hospitality and Tourism Management, Exercise Science, Marketing, Clinical Laboratory Science, Biology, Education, Accounting or Management; we invite you to join a table and help shape the future of a student. If you are interested in attending, please contact Mindy Earley at email@example.com by October 30.
November 18 - 19 - GradFest
Join us at GradFest to help welcome Grand Valley's future alumni into the Alumni Association. GradFest is both a celebration and a convenience for our graduating students, combining commencement necessities in one location, so they are able to pick up graduation tickets, purchase a cap and gown, order announcements, diploma frames, and make other preparations for commencements and their futures as proud GVSU graduates. Volunteers are needed for one or two hour shifts between 9:00 a.m - 6:00 p.m. each day. Please join us for as long as you are able. Contact Mindy Earley for more details or to volunteer.
GVSU Ranked High for Campus Safety
Grand Valley State University has the third safest college campus in the entire country, according to The Daily Beast. The news reporting and opinion Web site compiled data from the Department of Education for more than 4,000 U.S. colleges and universities and then selected the top 25 safest schools. Full Story
Young Alumni Have a Grand Celebration
Young Alumni, families and friends attended a late summer evening picnic in the courtyard area of GVSU's DeVos Center on September 11, where they shared dinner and played a variety of lawn games. Later, the group of nearly 70 attendees moved to the Eberhard Center's riverfront for an up-close view of Grand Rapids' 30th annual Celebration on the Grand fireworks.
View event photos.
Graduates Return to GVSU for Battle of the Valleys
The GVSU Alumni Association teamed up with the Seidman College of Business, Family Association and GVSU Police Academy to host a tailgate party before the Laker football home opener versus Saginaw Valley State University on Saturday Sept 12. Over 400 alumni, families and fans attended the event to enjoy good food, great music, giveaways and face painting. Guests heard from University President Thomas J. Haas, Athletic Director Tim Selgo, and Seidman College of Business Dean H. James Williams then headed to cheer Grand Valley on to a 38-7 victory.
View event photos.
Alumni Rally To Support New Library and Learning Center
Excitement was palpable as the Alumni Champions Committee met September 24 to discuss the latest on GVSU's Comprehensive Campaign. Don, '67, and Diane, '67, Paton, two of the co-chairs for the committee which is comprised of over 100 alumni, served as hosts for the evening. Speakers from Facilities Planning, University Libraries, and University Development discussed plans for the
Mary Idema Pew Library Learning and Information Commons.
“I believe the Pew Library will serve as the living heart of the university," said Lee VanOrsdel, Dean of University Libraries. “Students will know the building was designed just for them - with the right resources, the right furniture, the right lighting, the right services, the right spaces and the right amount of flexibility. They will think better of the University because we gave them a place like this, a place they never even dreamed would be part of their learning experience at GVSU.”
The Alumni Champions Committee is currently working to raise funds for this facility, the flagship project of Shaping Our Future. To learn more about the campaign and how you can be part of it, visit www.gvsu.edu/campaign.
Hey Laker Fans - Enter To Win the Ultimate Road Trip
The 2009-10 season is the Year of the Fan! To show their appreciation to the greatest fans in the world, GVSU Athletics wants to give you the Ultimate Road Trip. This prize for two, including an all-expense-paid Executive Coach ride to Ohio for the October 24 GVSU vs. Ashland University football game, tickets, and food, is provided by Compass Coach. To enter, simply send a short email message to firstname.lastname@example.org
explaining why you are the greatest Laker fan and why you deserve to win. Full details.
See Tomorrow's Top Entrepreneurs Today
Make connections with respected West Michigan business professionals and help encourage the entrepreneurs of the future by attending the Collegiate Entrepreneurs Organization (CEO) Idea Pitch Competition. The 5th annual competition is scheduled for October 7 from 6 - 7:30 p.m. in the Loosemore Auditorium on GVSU's Pew Grand Rapids campus. IPC offers a professional environment for top GVSU students to showcase their ideas, network with business professionals and compete for cash prizes. GVSU alumni and area business professionals are invited to attend.
Club & Chapter Corner
- Physician Assistant Studies Alumni Reception - October 9 - PAS alumni and friends are invited to an hors d'oeuvre reception during the Michigan Association of Physician Assistant (MAPA) Fall CME Conference - 6:30 p.m. at Boyne Mountain Resort. Contact Andy Booth for more details.
- Ann Arbor Alumni & Friends Reception - October 21- GVSU President Thomas J. Hass and Chris Barbee, '88, Director of Alumni Relations invite you to a networking reception with fellow alumni in the Ann Arbor area at 7 p.m. at the Weber's Inn. RSVP by October 16.
- Accounting Alumni & Friends Reunion - October 22 - Accounting alumni are invited to reconnect with former classmates, faculty and staff, and make new connections at this annual reception. Food, beer and wine will be served. There will also be door prize drawings beginning at 6:30 p.m. RSVP by October 16.
- Charleston Alumni Club Reception - December 2 - Join Charleston Club leader Tammie Hoffman, '90, for an evening of food, drink, sharing GVSU memories and hearing University updates at the Southend Brewery from 5:30 - 8:30 p.m. RSVP by November 24.
- Indianapolis, IN - On September 5, club leader Jennifer Poad-Baker, '92, hosted 22 Indianapolis-area alumni who gathered to cheer on the GVSU Laker football team as they took on the Indianapolis Greyhounds. The group enjoyed a pre-game tailgate before heading to the stadium to watch the Lakers defeat the Greyhouds 26-10. View event photos.
- Tampa, FL - More than 30 alumni and friends gathered September 6 at Ferg's Sports Bar & Grill in St. Petersburg, FL for a pre-game lunch, before heading to Tropicana Field to watch the Detroit Tigers defeat the Tampa Bay Rays. The popular event, hosted by club leader Tara Crow, '97, drew alumni from as far as Lake Mary, FL, nearly two hours away! View event photos.
- College of Education Alumni Association - On September 30, ten College of Education graduates returned to campus to host student roundtable discussions. Over 50 current education students attended sessions with topics including; Conversations with a Principal, Confessions of a First Year Teacher, Behavior Management, Classroom Procedures, and Meeting All Kid's Needs.